R20 Foundation is seeking a Project Pipeline Manager for its existing programme, the Subnational Climate Finance Initiative (SCF), and a new programme aimed at curating new blended-finance investment vehicles.
The SCF is a blended finance impact fund designed to pursue attractive risk-adjusted returns for private investors while generating measurable and certified environmental and social impacts. The Fund is focused exclusively on pursuing investments in mid-size climate infrastructure with nature-based solutions in various developing countries across Latin America and the Caribbean, Africa, the Mediterranean, and Asia. The Fund is managed by Pegasus Capital Advisors, a commercial Private Equity impact fund manager and further benefits from a separate, grant-funded Technical Assistance facility managed by The International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and implemented by R20, IUCN, and Gold Standard.
The new programme aims at creating blended-finance investment vehicles to help meet the need and commitments of cities for climate actions. Through the collaboration of a coalition of partners (networks of cities, the private sector actors, fund managers, public and private investors), the vision is to mobilise finance to accelerate the uptake of urban climate solutions to align with the goal of 1.5 degrees maximum global warming.
Reporting to the Director of Programmes and working closely with other team members and R20’s partners, the Project Pipeline Manager will oversee and conduct all project pipeline related activities. These activities, in the context of the new programme, include project mapping and sourcing for the preparation of pipelines in selected sectors for urban climate action contributing to climate mitigation. In the context of the SCF, the activities include project sourcing, evaluation, selection for Technical Assistance and/or investment assessment, and when needed, assist the investment team in due diligence.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Project sourcing and screening
- Working closely with investment leads on project evaluation, selection for Technical Assistance and/or investment assessment, and when needed, assist the investment team in due diligence
- Project mapping and sourcing for the preparation of pipelines in selected sectors for urban climate action contributing to climate mitigation.
- Liaise closely with Partners of the new programme, including networks of cities, the private sector actors, fund managers, and public and private investors
- Analyse the regulatory and political environment for a particular sector in a given geography in terms of conductivity for a proposed blended-finance investment vehicle
- Oversee the flow of projects in the SCF pipeline and any other new pipelines as they are created
- Provide numbers, results, deliverables for Communication, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Reporting
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a similar function, either with investment funds, international organisations, or NGOs; experience with similar financing funds with pipeline building for climate actions and achieving other SDGs
- Knowledge and working experience in some of the following sectors: renewable energy, energy efficiency, waste management, urban transport, and building
- Familiar with mid-sized infrastructure projects in the mentioned sectors at city/sub-national level
- Experience in regulatory and policy analysis
- Experience working with stakeholders in the space of impact, blended-finance investment for climate targets would be a plus
- Experience with international standards, such as IFC Performance Standards, Gold Standard, IRIS+, and carbon credits, a plus
- Being organised, time-management and prioritisation are essential in this role
- Passionate about climate mitigation and adaptation, biodiversity, and sustainability with a strong commitment towards a more sustainable world
- Team player, flexible and able to work in a multicultural environment
- Strong inter-personal skills
- Strong skills with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proficient English level in writing and speaking. Fluency in other UN languages, especially Spanish or French, a plus
- Excellent writing, drafting and editing skills
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in environmental science, finance, economics, or international relations
The ideal working station will be Geneva with travels depending on project needs. However, depending on the competence of the candidate, remote work could be considered, and if so, minimum time zone difference would be preferred.
Please send your CV and a Cover Letter to email@example.com by 6 January 2023.